Sunday, August 29, 2010

Not in Lake Jackson

As I go through my days here in Virginia I am reminded constantly that I am not in Lake Jackson anymore. We don't have nearly as many mosquitos up here, though there are ticks. There are hills! And not just hills but mountains. Yesterday a group of us went and hiked Old Rag Mountain (http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/OldRag/ scroll down for pictures). I seriously don't think I've gone hiking on a mountain since Jr. High, and it was so much fun. For the most part there is a lot less humidity up here, though we have had some pretty humid days. It gets fairly hot during the afternoons, but cools down big time at night. Sometimes leaving the gym in a sweaty shirt at night makes for a really cold walk to the dorm. There are the inside jokes and Hot Rod quotes that I turn to say sometimes that I then remember no one will get. Sometimes I just want to go to the beach, but it's 3 hours away. A movie ticket costs 10 bucks! It was $4.50 in College Station and $5 in Lake Jackson. Not to mention missing the friends and family. The food is pretty good here too, but it's nothing like mom's home coooking! It's definitely been a fun month of getting to live in a different location, and it's hard to believe that it's half-way over. I'll be back home this time next month getting ready to move a lot farther away then Virginia!

I know I put this on just about every blog, but it's been incredible what all God has done in my time up here. It's a combination of some really awesome people coming to speak to us all day every day and an environment where there are few distractions and reading the Bible and prayer is a priority. The Bible is full of hidden jewels and I think that my understanding of God, His love, His grace, His glory, His righteousness, and His Word have changed quite a bit since I got here a little more than a month ago. Look up the Hebrew meaning of the word "worm" in Psalm 22:6 and it'll give you a bigger appreciation for God's creation. Watch this video http://vimeo.com/5428141 to get a slightly different perspective on the stories of the Bible. Read this article http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1541_Did_Christ_Die_for_Us_or_for_God/ by John Piper and I think it may shift some thoughts about who man is and who God is and what salvation is all about.

All in all my time here has been filled with sweet time spent in group fellowship and personal devotion before my God. I hope that regardless of what distractions may come my way, when I leave in 4 weeks, my walk with God will be my source and my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment