Thursday, October 7, 2010

God is Faithful

As I reflect over my time at Field Personnel Orientation (I'm back at home as of September 23rd), I can think of one verse in particular and one theme that we find throughout the entirety of Scripture. This verse is 2 Corinthians 2:14, "But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." As I prepare to leave a week from tomorrow I am constantly reminded of how inadequate I am. I am not worthy to be a missionary. It is humbling that God has chosen to use me. What is encouraging in the face of this is the fact that God leads us in triumphal procession. It's not about me going and telling people about Christ, it's about me following God where he has led me and worshiping him through missions. It is not about what I can do for the kingdom of heaven, but about taking part in God's story and his work that has already begun in the Amazon basin. I'm not perfect and I'm not worthy and, really, I'm not capable. But God is! God leads us in triumphal procession. And God spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of himself everywhere. Praise God! He does use us, as the verse says, but it's him spreading the fragrance through me; it's not about my own strength and my own words, it's God's!

We see this same theme through Scripture:
Genesis 14:20 tells us that God delivered Abraham's enemies into his hands.
Exodus 14:30-31 tell of God's mighty power to save the Israelites from the Egyptians.
Deuteronomy 31:8 tells us that God goes before us and he will always be with us.
Joshua 23:3 tells us that all the victories of the Israelites in Canaan under Joshua were because God fought for them.
1 Samuel 17:37 is David saying that just as God delivered him from a bear and a lion God will also deliver him from Goliath.
2 Kings19:35 tells of God striking down many enemies to defend Judah on behalf of his great name.

All through the pages of the Bible we see men who are faithful to God being led by God as he is faithful to them. How refreshing to know that God works for us and in us and through us for himself. As I leave not too long from now, I know that God is guiding me and that he has already prepared the way. "But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment