Friday, December 3, 2010

Pork and Cheese

Where has all the time gone? I started my missions training at the end of July, and it is already December!? Time has flown by. I've been here in Manaus now for a little over a month and a half. Thank you for all of the prayers and messages that I have been receiving. It is definitely encouraging to know that people are thinking about me and lifting me up before our Heavenly Father. Thank you! A lot!

The main question I have been getting from people is what have you been doing? So let me give you the average week so you know more or less what my life looks like right now. Monday through Friday I have language training from 9:30 - 11:30. My language teacher and I have a book and usually we spend one hour going through some book pages and one hour talking (in Portuguese), or going through Bible stories to learn some of that 'religious jargon.' This morning we actually made some 'creme de maracuja' which, I believe, would translate into passion fruit cream!? It was like a fruity pudding made out of passion fruit - very delicious! Then the rest of the day is up to me. Usually I'll spend an hour or so studying more Portuguese, an hour or so studying my Bible, and some time watching TV in Portuguese to continue working on listening comprehension.

Last night my roommate and I went down to Ponta Negra, which is a popular strip along the river here, to do some storytelling. I memorized the story from Matthew 4 of Jesus calling Simon, Andrew, James, and John to be 'fishers of men.' After I told the story to one guy, I asked him if he had any questions. He asked what it meant to be a fisher of men. My first thought was, "I don't know if I could really explain this in English, how in the world will I do it in Portuguese!?" But, I explained as best as I could talking about discipleship, then I let my roommate, who is fluent, finish it up for me! It was a good time last night and I think we are going to start going down there to tell stories on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We met one guy last night who started crying when talking about his life - be praying for him. He's a vendor down there and hopefully we can talk with him some more next time we head down there.

The weekends are usually somewhat busy. I go to a church here named Nova Igreja Batista. They have a singles service on Saturday nights that runs about 700 and a normal service on Sundays that runs about 2500! Pretty large! But I like the people I've met there and we usually end up hanging out before services and after services.

So far so good. I'm definitely feeling ready to go to training and start doing the 'real' work that I came here to do, but first I've got to patiently be working on that Portuguese and learning that culture. Ya'll can be praying that I would have this patience to be content where I am and give 100% to language learning. Also, pray that I continue to have opportunities to be with Brazilians and learn the language by hearing them and talking with them. And last, but not least, next Saturday I will speaking at a youth service at a different church, so pray that God would give me the words to say. Thank ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment