Monday, July 26, 2010

Off to Training

Tomorrow... Actually in 4 hours I will be leaving Lake Jackson/Clute, Texas to go be trained. As I have read the books that have been given to me in order to prepare for this adventure I am about to undertake I have constantly been reminded of how little I have depended on God throughout all of this. As a human being and as a man I like to think that I am capable and competent enough to do anything that I put my heart to. I know it's pride, but it's just that way I think. In all honesty, I think that even if I never stop to pray I could 'get through' the next two years. However, I don't want to just 'get through' these next two years. I want God to show up in huge and mighty ways. In Habakkuk 1:5 God says, "Look at the nations and watch - and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." I hope that God does things that are unthinkable and unbelieveable. I know that these things will not happen though, unless I learn to rely on Him and live every moment for Him and not for myself.

I guess what I'm getting at is the idea of prayer. I have not taken nearly enough time to just sit before the Creator and Sustainer and let Him give me hope and vision and joy as he prepares me for where I am to go. I definitely believe that God answers prayers; however, if anyone were to actually look at my life, they would never know it. It's not a priority. I've heard stories of the "Heroes of our Faith" who spent hours in prayer each and every day. They were sensitive to God's calling and leading throughout their days.

One of the books that I have been reading is called Church Planting Movements. As the title suggests, it is about planting churches that plant churches that plant churches. It's about a movement - a revolution that changes the thoughts and beliefs of entire people groups as it rapidly spreads throughout landscapes. One of the quotes is as follows, "Prayer permeates Church Planting Movements... Church Planting Movements are steeped in prayer." I love those verbs - permeates and steeped. Prayer is everything in missions. If we expect God to act then he expects us to humbly approach His throne.

So, I want to ask you to pray. Right now. Tonight. Tomorrow morning. Or even all the above! Pray for yourself that you would be sensitive to God's leading in your life today! Also, pray for my mission trip. Most likely, the reason you are reading this is because you have already been praying or want to know how to pray for me as I go. So let me give you a few thoughts from the book I mentioned previously.

1. Pray for the missionaries
I hate to put myself first, but it's the order it's in in the book! As I go to training I have no idea what training holds. I know that I will be extremely busy and probably tired. I know they will try to get us out of our comfort zones as we prepare to move into an entirely different culture. I'm fairly positive that they are going to stuff our little noggins with an information overload that will be hard to keep up with. Pray that I grow ever closer to our Savior each and every day. Pray that God uses this time to refine me (which often isn't easy) into the man I need to be as I approach the time to leave for Brazil. Pray that God would show up in incredible ways at Orientation.

2. Pray for the lost people group.
The people that I will be going to may have some prior knowledge of the Gospel. However, if they have any it is very faint and most likely mixed with some sort of spirit worship that many would associate with villages in remote locations. As I said in a previous blog, I won't be done with training until April or May of next year. But it is never too early to start praying for lost souls. Pray that God would open their eyes to see His glory and the hope that He offers. Pray that they would actively receive it and willingly spread the news throughout their region.

3. Pray for the new believers.
I have no idea what will happen when the first group of people turn to Christ. The rest of the community may treat them the same, or they may be ignored and harmed. Pray that God would grant them His strength to be bold. Pray that they would persevere as the faith becomes their own and they proclaim it to others.

4. Pray for new workers.
Pray that as men and women come to believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior, they would become missionaries. The goal would be for them to become church planters and evangelists.

Just pray! To be honest I have no idea what's in store for these next few months, but I do know that the best way to prepare is to pray. So join me in lifting up the men and women along the Amazon River to our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. My prayer for you is that God will prepare the hearts of those you will encounter; that He will put into your mouth the words He wants you to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying and will continue them! Love you, Greg!!!

    ReplyDelete